Running SDRPlay with gqrx on Ubuntu 18.10

Since a long time, I was trying to get my SDRPlay running with gqrx on Ubuntu. A while ago, I successfully compiled everything I needed, but this lesson took hours and after the next Ubuntu update, it did not work anymore. Now I found a solution that is much easier. I did a lot of other changes on my system in parallel, so I am not 100% sure that the following steps are enough to get it running, but it works now for me.

Here the steps I took:

1) Download and install SDRPlay drivers for Linux
https://www.sdrplay.com/downloads/ (I downloaded the API/HW Driver – v2.13 (20th June 2018))

Install worked like this:

cd Download
chmod +x SDRplay_RSP_API-Linux-2.13.1.run
./SDRplay_RSP_API-Linux-2.13.1.run

2) Add the following lines to /etc/motprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist sdr_msi3101
blacklist msi001
blacklist msi2500

3) Get gqrx generic binary
Download from http://gqrx.dk/download
Extract the tar.gz in a folder of your choice

Reboot can’t hurt here.

4) Run gqrx:

cd gqrx-sdr-2.11.5-linux-x64/
./gqrx

Now the SDRPlay should appear in the list of devices.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.